Search This Blog

Monday, December 7, 2009

Melting Away

So I've lost about 26 pounds since going gluten free and now milk free. The weight is melting off, literally. I've survived Halloween, Thanksgiving and 1 Holiday Party. Giving up gluten was difficult in the beginning. Nobody really understands what you are going through and most haven't even heard of gluten. Try explaining gluten free to somebody. Even the word gluten sounds funny. Do I miss gluten? Sometimes. But I don't miss the 26 pounds and the wide range of horrible symptoms that came into my life because of it.
I am awake, really awake. I SEE my kids and really hear them when they talk to me because I don't feel like I have the flu 24/7.


Before giving up gluten, I felt like crap, like the stay puff marshmallow lady...swollen. I knew that I wasn't just heavy, I was ill and it kept getting worse and worse...and I have worked at a health club for 11 years....


If you have issues with gluten,  # 1 be your own advocate and journal, journal, journal. Do not give up gluten until you get tested. This could produce a false negative and make your diagnosis take longer. I was lucky. My nurse practitioner took me seriously from the moment that I suspected Celiac Disease or Gluten Intolerance and has helped me every step of the way! #2 Check out http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/. I just happened to read Shauna James Ahern's book... Gluten Free Girl before I came across her blog. She is amazing! Buy the book (Gluten Free Girl) and follow the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment